The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is a federal government agency responsible for the safety of civil aviation. Its major roles include the following:
- regulating civil aviation to promote safety;
- encouraging and developing civil aeronautics, including new aviation technology;
- developing and operating a system of air traffic control and navigation for both civil and military aircraft;
- researching and developing the National Airspace System and civil aeronautics;
- developing and carrying out programs to control aircraft noise and other environmental effects of civil aviation; and
- regulating U.S. commercial space transportation.
The Summer Employment Initiative is designed to attract talented students to the workforce for summer employment opportunities into entry-level positions and provide positive work and developmental experience.