The Science and Technology Policy Institute (STPI) provides S&T policy analysis for the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy and other federal agencies, primarily NIH and NSF. (A description of STPI is in the attached job posting and can be found at their website: http://www.ida.org/stpi/pages/about.html )
They are hiring candidates at all levels from recent bachelor’s to PhDs and experienced people as well. They are seeking candidates in three specific areas (economics, energy, and environment; life sciences; evaluation and scientometrics). Students, especially those that are interested in S&T policy analysis, especially in the economic, energy and environment areas, are invited to inquire.
The Science and Technology Policy Institute (STPI) seeks talented individuals to conduct analysis of federal science and technology policy. We seek both science and technology policy generalists and specialists with an emphasis on three broad areas: (1) life sciences and biomedical research, (2) energy and the environment, and (3) program evaluation, portfolio analysis, and scientometrics.
STPI is a federally funded research and development center operated by the Institute for Defense Analyses (IDA), with a Congressional charter to provide analytical support to the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP) and other federal agencies on science and technology policy issues. STPI is located in downtown Washington, DC, a few blocks from OSTP and the White House.
Recent Graduates: We are looking for staff at a variety of levels, including individuals who have recently graduated with BA/BS, MA/MS, and PhD degrees, and have a demonstrated interest in science and technology policy. The ideal candidate will have a combination of academic achievement and internship, postdoc, and/or 1-5 years work experience in the sciences, engineering, technology, or policy fields, preferably with emphasis on science and technology issues. The successful applicant must have the ability to work within a team and to express ideas clearly in spoken and written format.
Experienced Candidates: We are also looking for experienced candidates who are knowledgeable, practiced, dynamic scientists, engineers, or social scientists with significant understanding of federal policy. These individuals will conduct and lead analysis of policy studies in the following areas:
(1) Energy and the Environment: PhD to conduct and lead studies on energy related technologies, environmental science and research policy, and social, behavioral, and economic research related to energy, environment, and climate.
(2) Life Sciences and Biomedical Research: PhD or MD to conduct and lead policy analysis studies in the areas of life sciences, healthcare, and the conduct of clinical and translational research.
(3) Program Evaluation, Portfolio Analysis, and Scientometrics: PhD with policy analysis experience to lead program evaluations to analyze the productivity and impact of R&D organizations, and conduct policy analysis studies related to public administration and organizational behavior.
(4) Other S&T Areas: PhD with policy analysis experience to conduct research on important national topics, such as innovation, immigration, advanced manufacturing, STEM education and workforce development, disaster planning, risk perception/risk analysis, transportation, telecommunications, space, aviation, national security, and international affairs.
The ideal candidate will have 5-15 years professional research experience in an academic or industry environment, as well as experience with research and development management and/or science and technology policy. The successful applicant must have the ability to work within a team and to express ideas clearly in spoken and written format.
Internships: We are seeking students who are still in school working on a BA/BS, MA/MS, or PhD to consider an internship at STPI. Candidates with a background in the sciences, engineering, or social sciences and an interest in science and technology policy analysis are welcome to apply.
To apply to work at STPI:
- Interested candidates should send a cover letter, cv or resume, and publication or writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We are seeking candidates for each of the following positions:
- Summer internships
- Recent Bachelor’s & Master’s Degree Graduates
- Recent PhDs & Postdocs
- Experienced Research Analyst: S&T Public Policy positions
Compensation and Benefits:
IDA offers a competitive salary, an excellent benefits package and a superior professional working environment. The selected individual will be subject to a security investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. U.S. citizenship is required. IDA is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.